[layerslider id="7"]

Williams-Brice Stadium

Click the image above for 360 degree tour of Williams-Brice Stadium

Home to the University of South Carolina Gamecocks is Williams-Brice Stadium, recognized as one of the finest facilities in all of college football. Carolina annually ranks among the nation’s leaders in attendance and Gamecock fans are regarded as some of the most loyal in the country.
Williams-Brice Stadium, formerly Carolina Stadium, was first constructed in 1934 by the Works Progress Administration (WPA). Then it seated 17,600. It has undergone a number of expansions and revisions over the years, with the largest prior to the 1982 expansion coming in 1971-72. A bequest from the estate of Mrs. Martha Williams Brice helped boost the capacity then from slightly more than 43,000 to more than 54,000.

Mrs. Brice’s husband, Thomas H. Brice, was a Gamecock football letterman, 1922-24, and her family operated the Williams furniture Company in Sumter. She left a substantial interitance from the Williams Furniture fortune to her nephews, Thomas W. and Phillip L. Edwards, much of which they passed on to the University of South Carolina. That included a bequest for the stadium project.

The name was officially changed from Carolina Stadium to Williams-Brice Stadium in dedication ceremonies during the Sept. 9, 1972, opener with Virginia.


  • First constructed in 1934, Williams-Brice Stadium has a seating capacity of 80,250
  • A $6.5 million state-of-the-art video board measuring 36′ x 124′ added for the 2012 season
  • USC consistently ranks among the top 20 in the nation in home attendance
  • The Zone features an 11,000-square foot banquet facility and provides fans with a fantastic view from the South End Zone
  • The premium seating and executive suites at the stadium are among the finest in college football
  • First game as Carolina Stadium was on Sept. 23, 1934. (USC 25, Erskine 0)
  • Dedicated as Williams-Brice Stadium on Sept. 9, 1972. (Virginia 24, USC 16)